TouchBreath is not designed for diagnosis, treatment or prevention of specific medical disorders. Users with medical problems should consult a healthcare provider to seek medical advice prior to use.
The object of this application is to train respiratory activity to create states of relaxation, enhance generalized health, or enhance voice control and lung function (under healthcare provider supervision).
The goal is to follow the yellow pacing bar (which can have customized timing) with your finger. Finger tracking of the yellow pacing bar is linked to respiration. So the finger acts as a “sensor” for breathing activities. There are several screen elements you need to become familiar with starting at the top.
- Yellow pacing yellow bar (speed and direction of finger movement)
- Breathing instructions
- Inhalation (breath in)
- Exhalation (breath out)
- Inhalation/exhalation directed to the mouth or nose
- Pause (hold breath)
- Blue/Green field feedback
- Green indicates good tracking of yellow bar
- Blue indicates less accurate tracking of yellow bar
Once started the application will already be running a default configuration. Pressing the menu button and the info box will provide information. The breathing patterns are configured in the following manner with timing in seconds:Inhalation:Pause:Exhalation:Pause
A default (pre-set) breathing pattern can be accessed by pressing the “Menu” key then the set configuration box. This will allow the user to select from a number of settings. Pressing the desired setting resets the screen.
TouchBreath(TB) is designed to facilitate and explore the vast range of respiratory control techniques. New techniques can be explored via the internet and by consulting experts in these techniques. Two approaches can be used to generate custom settings:
- While the application is running, press the menu key and select the “Add/Edit Techniques” menu item. Tap any pre-set configuration which will lead to a screen demonstrating the structure of the specific breathing pattern. The following screen elements can be changed:
- Configuration name
- Inhalation Mouth/Nose Timing (seconds)
- Pause (seconds)
- Exhalation Mouth/Nose Timing (seconds)
- Second pause (seconds)
- Description section
- The second option is to again press the menu key, and select the “Add/Edit Techniques” menu item. When this screen appears, again press “Menu”, at the bottom of the screen an “Add” menu item will appear. Pressing this generates a new breathing technique template. New techniques must have non blank Name fields. Once the desired parameters are configured, the new technique can be saved by pressing the “Menu” key.
TouchBreath use may vary from once a day to several times dependent upon breathing technique selected.
Once the basic techniques of TB have been mastered, the feedback process can be enhanced by adding vibration feedback. Vibration can be added to Inhalation, Exhalation or both. The patterns can be short, medium or long. Press the menu button followed by the preference box. There are three box selections:
- Vibration enabled
(activates continuous vibration)
- Inhale vibration
(short, medium and long)
- Exhale vibration
(short, medium and long)
A unique element of the vibration mode is the ability to perform this respiratory technique without looking directly at the screen.